Quick recap: I’m attempting to make a Claire Fraser cosplay almost completely from scratch with my limited sewing experience.
I go through the headache, so you don’t have to.
So next on my list of items to make was the bumroll (sometimes called a hiproll). Now there was a pattern for a bum PAD with my Outlander sewing pattern, but as the name suggests, this was a pad, and I was going for as close to Claire’s actual outfit as I could, and as you can see in this deleted scene, she clearly wears a roll, rather than a pad.
But now came the tricky bit. I found hundreds of sewing patterns for a pad, but none for a roll. I’m sure there was a way to measure it properly, but I just guessed at the general shape and drew it out on tissue paper then held it up to my hips. It only took two adjustments before the shape seemed right and it fit well. I pinned it to white cotton fabric I had left over from a previous project and cut out two.
Then I sewed them together with a contrasting cotton in a running stitch just to hold it so I didn’t have to tackle pins at the sewing machine, leaving the middle open wide enough to allow for turning inside out and stuffing.
After it was sewn with the sewing machine and turned right side out, I stuffed it with the insides of an old pillow, but I’d recommend going out and buying actual stuffing. You can get it by the bag and it’s a lot fluffier than pillow fluff but I was feeling impatient.
(Oh, and even after watching this video where she talks about accidentally sewing the ties inside permanently, I still managed to do just that on the one side before realising what I’d done. Thankfully I cut a hole for the tie to come through free and sewing it to the outside permanently, securing the hole I had just made.)
So next I added the stuffing before handstitching the middle opening closed.
Top tip: use a pencil or chopstick or something long and pokey to push the stuffing into the outer corners. I’d also suggest filling it a little bit more than you think you should. It should be very raised.
The ribbon ties are herringbone cotton tape (the same that I used on the pocket bags) and I bought 10m of it from here in “Light Natural” to try and look as unbleached as possible (I know the bumpad itself looks bleached but ah well).
So here’s the finished article:
It’s a little lumpy and a little uneven in places, but it seems to do the job. The real test, however, will be how well it performs after the skirt is made, but we shall see.