Previously in my life: Last week the patterns FINALLY arrived, and I realised that I’ve never worked from a pattern before. Cue new panic. To make matters worse, I ordered the 14-22 thinking that being a UK size 18 (a US 16), that I’d definitely fit in this pattern, but after measuring myself I’m larger than even the 22 measurements, which cannot be right. I’m not sure who came up with the measurements for this pattern but they’re insane. So I’m mad about that but I’m hoping the negative ease will mean that the pattern will still work for me.
Now on with the rings.
In the show, Claire has two wedding rings, one from Jamie, made from a key to Lallybroch castle, and one from Frank, her husband back in 1940. She wears Jamie’s ring on her left hand, and moves Frank’s on to her right.
They’re a focus at times throughout the show as Claire battles with which husband she would choose over the other, but I don’t think they’re of particular importance when it comes to Cosplay, so I’d put them to the back of my mind for something to think about later, if I had time.
But at the minute, all I have is time, and so the thought came swooping right back to me. I’d already decided not to knit her trademark armwarmers and cowl, so it would be nice to have at least one specific accessory that made this Cosplay truly Claire.
So I took to Etsy and tried to find a replica of the Lallybroch ring. Fortunately there were some. Unfortunately, they were out of my price range. Okay, well I wasn’t going to give up there, I have Polymer clay, so I took to Pinterest next to see if it were possible to make one.
I found this tutorial about making faux hammered polymer rings and I improvised a little. I didn’t have a ring sizer pole thing. In fact, the only thing even remotely close to this was a turkey baster. I checked one of my rings on it and it lined up just above the 30ml line. I wrapped some tin foil around it to stop it sticking, rolled out my clay, used a piece of string to measure the circumference of my ring finger, used this to measure a thin strip of clay to cut out and wrap around the baster, added the distinctive bow across it, then lay it flat on a baking tray and baked at Gas Mark 1 (or rather just a little before it) for 30 minutes.
My first attempt was a little bit too small, so I tried again with a batch of two just in case. They’re strong enough to stay on my finger, but any real pressure put on them and I predict they’d crumble, so I think it’s best to have at least one spare for the con.
I also made a plain wedding band, although I’m not so sure about this one, and in the end I discovered that you can buy metal ones on eBay for less than a fiver, so I bought myself one. (I recommend this one, although they didn’t have any in my giant size so I ended up getting a slightly more expensive one for £6.) If it turns up and doesn’t fit, I’ll just wear the clay one.
Today I started painting the Lallybroch ring to look more, well, metal and hammered. I used metallic acrylic paint from Poundland mixed with some smaller artist acrylics that I had lying around to deepen the colour.
Overall I’m really pleased with how they’ve turned out. I might play around with the colour a bit more but I have rings!